Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl Wines



Just some truncated, non-scored notes from memory (while my memory's fresh).




1999 Père Pape CHÂTEAUNEUF DU PAPE "La Crau de ma Mère" -- I think this was a year or two past its prime. The rich grenache fruit I expected was replaced by very earthy, resiny flavors, and the texture was drying out a bit. Still very good, but paled by comparison to the next wine.




2002 Ridge GEYSERVILLE (84% Zinfandel, with Carignane and Petite Sirah) (Alexander Valley, Cal.) -- I had this one last around Thanksgiving 2005, and, contrary to my expectations, it was showing better now. In 2005, I noted that this wine tasted more like an Amarone than a Zin, but this time, the rich, deep, earthy Zin character of the Alexander Valley was singing. Definitely at it peak, this was a superb wine. Depth, length, complexity, balance. Everything.




Made manly food -- Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches (from scratch -- there's a great recipe in The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian) to go with the wines in honor of the Super Bowl.

No comments: